Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Run the Race and Finish Well



It's been three weeks since my momma's Home-Going. Three long or short weeks, depending on how I feel at the time. Not sure I could adequately describe how I've felt at any given time throughout these past weeks ... but one thing I know that I know that I know ... Heavenly Father has been faithful to this humble and weak servant!

My chosen 2010 word is TRUST. Little did I know I would be asked to TRUST so much right out of the box! I suppose the test of whether to TRUST God wholly, or carry myself with hurt and worry was yet another opportunity for me to see and feel His love and care for every detail of my life.

We've just finished a very looong weekend of cleaning, sorting, and moving things from mom's house. Today I'm headed back to work ... back to reality. Mom's "stuff" is moved - gone - disposed of - the place is empty - empty like a whole in my heart. But there are some beautiful reminders now inside my home, which are encouragements to me every time I look at them. Things that say "Kay, run the race with perseverance and finish well!" I can actually see the open arms of Jesus.

Re-read 2 Corinthians 4: 2-18 if you can do it with me this week. I've listed some highlighted verses below that I am concentrating on.

VERSE 7: But this precious treasure-this light and power that now shine within us-is held in perishable containers, that is, in our weak bodies. So everyone can see that our glorious power is from God and is not our own.
VERSES 8-9: We often suffer, but we are never crushed. Even when we don't know what to do, we never give up. In times of trouble, God is with us, and when we are knocked down, we get up again.
VERSE 16: That is why we are not discouraged. Though outwardly we are wearing out, inwardly we are renewed day by day.
VERSE 17: For our present troubles are quite small and won't last very long. Yet they produce for us an immeasurably great glory that will last forever!
VERSE 18: So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

These verses are a great reminder to me that there is a bigger reason to finish well ... so that we can hear God say "Well done, my good and faithful servant! Come and share your Master's happiness!"

So ... what's your 2010 word?

2 comments:

Lori said...

Mine is "discipline"... and I'm working on the blog entry to elaborate. So stay tuned...

You inspire me, lady. Thank you for your words, your Biblical guidance and for your reminder... trusting God everyday of our lives is so important.

Got tissue?!

Sandy from Ukiah said...

I have to say "trust" too Kay... my heart is so sad at times... I miss my sister soooo much, (for some reason I seem to be crying every time I turn around. She's been gone a about a year and 1/2 and I miss here terribly) I can imagine the hole you have in your heart because of your mom. (my mom died when I was 12) I hold onto the verse that says, "God will finish the work He started..." for Alex, Brent and Billy. I am still searching for a verse for Karen... Trust...(and obey). Well I have rattle on too long, and probably haven't even made any sense. Afraid to go back and read what I wrote. lol